When it comes to publishing your papers, we're a stickler for following guidelines. So, be sure to read the submission guidelines below before you submit an article to us.
Strategy: Infinity Journal is a Strategy publication, so articles must be about the use or threat of violence for politcal objectives. We are not an international relations or foreign policy publication. We strongly recommend that you read the IJ Brief "What is Strategy" to understand what Strategy means to Infinity Journal.
Deadlines: Rolling submissions, with articles being selected for specific Issues.
Peer-Review Process: All articles submitted to Infinity Journal undergo both a rigorous internal review process, and an external, double blind review. The external review is conducted by a minimum of two external reviewers, though three or more reviewers are utilized in certain cases.
Microsoft Word documents only: please send only MS Word files.
You may submit articles to the Publisher or the Editor of Infinity Journal. See below for more details.
Your article may not be published in another publication unless you receive our written consent.
Please do not submit dissertations/theses unless they have been properly reworked to fit the IJ’s article framework. This includes focusing on 'Strategy' (the ethos of the publication) as well as style (e.g. accessible language) and word count (3,000 maximum).
Proposals: You may submit a very short and concise proposal before writing your piece, so as to ensure the topic is suitable for the publication.
Length of articles: all articles are to be 3,000 words or less (we do not count endnotes towards the word maximum). However, it is the sole decision of Infinity Journal's Editor to decide if a longer piece will be published. This is rare and only occurs under very specific circumstances.
If you have any questions at all, please contact us at any time. State your query in simple, clear language. We will respond as quickly as possible.
Guidelines for Specific Article Types
WHAT WE WANT
- Articles submitted in Microsoft Word format only
- Articles containing no more than 3,000 words
- Articles in English
- Articles on Strategy specifically - and in relation to - Policy, Tactics and Operations
- Articles on Strategic History, but not Military History
- Articles using endnotes must use a recognized system. Articles do not have to contain citations unless necessary (e.g. quotes, stats). We do not publish bibliographies.
- Articles that use evidence and empirical observation over opinion
- Articles that are well written, structured, intelligent and even provocative or witty, without being simplistic, vacuous, slanderous or rude
- Articles re-butting or countering the ideas of previously published articles in IJ are welcome.
NOTE: Please keep rigid language and complexity to minimum and comprehensible language and simplicity to a maximum. Our goal is to get your work read by the widest possible audience.
WHAT WE DO NOT WANT
- No articles that exceed 3,000 words (not including endnotes)
- No articles that seek to predict the future. No political or strategic prognosticating or foreign policy predictions
- No articles on military training, organization, capability or technology
- No articles representing political opinion
- No articles that are exclusively on tactics and/or operations
- We prefer that articles do not exclusively seek to analyze or comment on a specific nation’s foreign policy, unless it is in the wider context of Strategic History. Exceptions may be made, so contact us if you have questions. IJ is not an International Relations journal – it is a rigoursly peer-reviewed Strategy publication.
ARTICLE AND SUBMISSION DETAILS
It is best if your question/argument will be in your title. Keep it short and succinct.
- E.g. “Is a Strategy of Targeted Killings Effective?”
- E.g. “The Strategy, or lack thereof, of Peacekeeping Operations.”
- E.g. “Winning Hearts and Minds: Strategy or Myth?”
Articles are to be submitted electronically to the Publisher. Please include 2 copies, one with a cover sheet and one without for the blind, review process.
Cover sheet: Your cover sheet should include your name, title, date, and email address.
Please refrain from inquiring about the status of your article – we will work hard to inform you of the verdict at the earliest possible time.
If you are submitting an article for the IJ Exclusive section, please follow the same guidelines for “IJ Articles”, along with the additional points below.
IJ Exclusive articles will be published on the Infinity Journal website, not the quarterly issue. This is a highly specific section that deals with Strategy, which the writer ties to current and or contemporary events.
As this is a Strategy publication, articles must be about the use or threat of violence for political objectives. We suggest reading the IJ Brief "What is Strategy", as well as our "About" page to understand what that means to Infinity Journal.
All IJ Exclusives are peer-reviewed using the same rigorous double-blind review process that applied to articles submitted for any quarterly IJ Issue.
Please note the following, which slightly differs from IJ Articles:
- Word count: maximum of 2,000 words
- Must be on current/contemporary issues or events
- Articles submitted in Microsoft Word format only
Example: “Strategic Perspectives on the Armed Rebellion in Libya”