Nathan K. Finney
Editorial Advisory Panel
Nathan K. Finney is a United States Army Strategist. He has written on issues that involve strategy, building partner capacity, security sector reform, security force assistance, and the integration of civilian and military agencies. He holds Masters in Public Administration from the Harvard Kennedy School of Government and the University of Kansas, as well as a B.A. in Anthropology from the University of Arizona.
• “The Human Terrain Team Handbook”, Government Printing Office, September 2008.
• “Unity of Effort: A Culture of Cooperation and the Cooperation of Cultural Systems,” Armor and Cavalry Journal, January/February 2009.
• “Human Terrain Support to Current Operations,” Infantry Magazine, March/April 2009.
• “Developing Foreign Security Forces In the Era of Persistent Conflict,” Army Magazine, January 2010.
• “A Culture of Inclusion: Defense, Diplomacy, and Development as a Modern American Foreign Policy,” Small Wars Journal, 26 September 2010.
• “Building Police Capacity in Afghanistan: The Challenges of a Multilateral Approach,” PRISM, Volume 2, Number 1, November 2010.
• “Security, Capacity, and Literacy,” Military Review, January/February 2011.
• “Building the Security Force that Won’t Leave,” Joint Forces Quarterly, July 2011.
• “Developing a Sustainable Security Force,” Canadian Military Journal, July 2011.
• “Helping the Afghans Help Themselves,” Proceedings, July 2011.
• “The Army Ethic, Public Trust, and the Profession of Arms,” Military
Review, September 2011.
• “Why Operational Access Is No Revolution,” Rethinking Security, 3 April 2012.
• “Using Technology to Train America’s Decisive Force,” Army Magazine, May 2012.
• “Advisors: Creating a Strategic Effect or Political Window Dressing?,” Kabul Cable, 21 September 2012.
• "Air-Sea Battle as a Military Contribution to Strategy Development," Infinity Journal, 31 October 2012.
• "Preventing Mass Atrocities in Sub-Saharan Africa through Strategic Engagement", Military Review, 1 November 2012.
• "Constructive Disruption: The Defense Entrepreneurs Forum," Small Wars Journal, 5 April 2013.
• "Using the Threat of Violence to Contain Syria: An External Approach," Infinity Journal, Volume 3, Issue No. 3, Summer 2013, pages 13-16.
• "Why the Defense Entrepreneurs Forum Matters: Peripheral Networks & Innovation," War on the Rocks, 21 October 2013.
• "Out of Balance: Rebalancing Access and Overcoming Denial," The Journal of Military Operations, 20 January 2014.
• “Relativity and Negotiation: Core Elements of a General Theory of Strategy”, Infinity Journal, The Strategy Bridge Special Edition, March 2014
Editorial Advisory Panel
- Colin Gray Editorial Advisory Panel
- Antulio Echevarria Editorial Advisory Panel
- Edward Luttwak Editorial Advisory Panel
- Shay Shabtai Editorial Advisory Panel
- Kevin C.M. Benson Editorial Advisory Panel
- Hugh Smith, AM Editorial Advisory Panel
- David Betz Editorial Advisory Panel
- Gur Laish Editorial Advisory Panel
- Mark D. Mandeles Editorial Advisory Panel
- Nathan K. Finney Editorial Advisory Panel
- Eitan Shamir Editorial Advisory Panel
- Kobi Michael Editorial Advisory Panel
- Ron Tira Editorial Advisory Panel
- C. Dale Walton Editorial Advisory Panel